Some references to tilapia aquaculture in Indiana:
What are Indiana Aquaculture Policies, and are any Permits/Licenses needed to start an aquaculture operation?
Prepared by: Randy Lang, Fisheries Staff Specialist, Indiana Department of Natural Resources, Indianapolis
Aquaculture is technically under the Department of Agriculture because the Indiana Code IC 4-4-3.8-2 stipulates the duties of commissioner of agriculture as:
- Organize and develop an information and market research center for aquaculture.
- Instigate the formation of a market and development plan for the aquaculture industry.
- Encourage the development and growth of aquaculture.
However, since aquaculture involves aquatic plants and animals, the Indiana Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) has responsibilities for monitoring aquaculture activities to prevent escape of undesirable aquatic species into the environment. Consequently, IDNR has state permits for the production, sale, transportation, or release of fish in Indiana.
- General information and permit forms for importation of live fish into Indiana are available at: http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/3607.htm
- Indiana State Board of Animal Health Aquaculture Pre-Entry Permit available at: http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/PreEntry2008.pdf
- Fish Hauler’s and Suppliers Permit: Required to transport, sell, produce, and release fish on the approved species list. The state statute can be found at: http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title14/ar22/ch9.html
- Aquaculture Permit: Required to transport, sell, produce, and release fish not on the approved species list. The state statute can be found at: http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title14/ar22/ch25.html
- Bait Dealer’s Permit: Required to transport and possess minnows and crayfish for selling as bait. The state statute can be found at: http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title14/ar22/ch16.html
- Fish Stocking Permit: Required to release (stock) private fish into public waters. The state statute can be found at: http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title14/ar22/ch27.html
- Indiana Aquaculture Permits
Indiana DNR – Division of Fish and Wildlife