In most areas, if you want to grow outside year-round you will need a greenhouse. Use our handy guide below to start planning your greenhouse aquaponics system.
Aquaponic Greenhouse Tips
- Plan for heating both the water and (less important) the air
- Also have a plan for cooling your greenhouse
- Pay attention to the sunlight path for your particular latitude to maximize the light for growing your plants
- Built in power and water. You’ll be glad you aren’t dragging around hoses and extension cords!
- Automatic notification of power failure through a phone or internet connection can come in handy.
- You may decide to sink your sump tanks into the floor. Have a plan before pouring concrete!
- Be sure the fish tank can fit in the door. If not, just build the greenhouse around the fish tank.
Find out more about recommended aquaponic systems by greenhouse size