Tag Archives: associations

Ohio Tilapia Culture

While aquaculture is growing in Ohio, tilapia farms are still a minor contributor to the overall state fish production.Ohio Production




For more information, see Ohio Aquaculture Industry Analysis

Some Ohio tilapia farms:

Ripple Rock Fish Farms
6805 Old Stagecoach Road,
Frazeysburg, Ohio, 43822

Sugar Creek Fishery
7799 Sugar Creek Rd
Lima, OH 45801
Phone:(330) 554-7151

Regulatory Issues in Ohio Regarding Aquaculture

By: Laura Tiu, Aquaculture Specialist, OSU South Centers

Aquaculture is a form of agriculture in Ohio.

Ohio Revised Code 1.61. “Agriculture” defined.

As used in any statute except section 303.01 or 519.01 of the Revised Code, “agriculture” includes farming; ranching; aquaculture; apiculture and related apicultural activities, production of honey, beeswax, honeycomb, and other related products; horticulture; viticulture, winemaking, and related activities; animal husbandry, including, but not limited to, the care and raising of livestock, equine, and fur-bearing animals; poultry husbandry and the production of poultry and poultry products; dairy production; the production of field crops, tobacco, fruits, vegetables, nursery stock, ornamental shrubs, ornamental trees, flowers, sod, or mushrooms; timber; pasturage; any combination of the foregoing; the processing, drying, storage, and marketing of agricultural products when those activities are conducted in conjunction with, but are secondary to, such husbandry or production; and any additions or modifications to the foregoing made by the director of agriculture by rule adopted in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code.

In a recent survey of State Aquaculture Coordinators, the 17 states that define aquaculture find it has a number of benefits:

  • sales and use tax exemptions
  • building code exemptions
  • right-to-farm laws developed to create a legal buffer between farms and encroaching suburbanites
  • allows for sovereign submerged land leases
  • protects farmers who follow BMPs from environmental lawsuits
  • provides for an ombudsman to resolve issues with regulatory agencies
  • disaster assistance from USDA
  • access to land, water appropriations, and discharge exemptions provided to agricultural operations
  • provides a seat on the state’s Agricultural Commission and representation by Farm Bureau
  • makes theft of farmed fish punishable
  • allows exemption from wildlife regulations on take method, season, limit, and size
  • allows producers to file for agricultural land tax rates
  • provides for coordinated fish health monitoring efforts

Aquaculture permits in Ohio.

Fee: $50.00 – $100.00

Ohio Revised Code 1533.632. Aquaculture permits in Ohio.

Permitting for production of aquaculture species is provided by the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR), Division of Wildlife.


The Aquaculture Law Digest is accessible on-line as ODNR Publication 61.

Permits are annual from January 1 – December 31.

Transportation and Baitfish permits information available on the same webpage.

Fish Importation into Ohio

Aquatic fish health is regulated by the Ohio Department of Agriculture

Find more information on this website: http://www.ncrac.org/Info/StateImportRegs/ohio.htm#Importation

Storm Water Discharge permits – Ohio EPA

Fee: $200.00 – $500.00

As of March 10, 2003, if your construction project disturbs 1 or more acres of ground, you must get a permit to discharge storm water from your site. If your project disturbs less than 1 acre but is part of a larger plan of development or sale, you also need a permit to discharge storm water from the site. This includes excavation of ponds.

For more information: http://www.epa.ohio.gov/dsw/storm/construction_index.aspx

NOI form: http://www.epa.ohio.gov/portals/35/documents/NOI_form2_fis.pdf

NOI costs: http://www.epa.ohio.gov/dsw/permits/gpfees.aspx

National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit

Specific language from Federal Register 40 CFR part 451, Vol. 68, No

162 August 24, 2004:

On June 30, 2001, EPA finalized a new rule establishing regulations for concentrated aquatic animal production (CAAP), or farm raised fish facilities. The regulation will apply to approximately 245 facilities that generate wastewater from their operations and discharge that wastewater directly into waters of the United States. This rule will help reduce discharges of conventional pollutants, primarily total suspended solids. The rule will also help reduce non-conventional pollutants such as nutrients. To a lesser extent, the rule will reduce drugs that are used to manage diseased fish, chemicals used to clean net pens, and toxic pollutants (metals and PCBs). The final rule applies to direct discharges of wastewater from existing and new facilities that produce at least 100,000 pounds of fish a year and discharge at least 30 days a year and facilities that produce at least 100,000 pounds of fish a year in net pens or submerged cages.

Information: http://water.epa.gov/scitech/wastetech/guide/aquaculture/index.cfm

Form: http://www.epa.ohio.gov/portals/35/permits/cafo_fedrgstr_form2b.pdf

Water Withdrawal Facilities Registration

The Water Withdrawal Facilities Registration Program, as established in H.B. 662 by the Ohio General Assembly in 1988, implements one of the objectives of the Great Lakes Charter in Ohio. Section 1521.16 of the Ohio Revised code requires any owner of a facility, or combination of facilities, with the capacity to withdraw water at a quantity greater than 100,000 gallons per day (GPD) to register such facilities with the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR), Division of Water. The Water Withdrawal Facility Registration (WWFR) Program will provide information of great importance to the citizens of the state. Water, one of our most basic and precious natural resources, needs to be studied more intensely and water resource planners need reliable information to plan for the future. The state’s economy depends on water and economic development will continue to place increased demands on this critical resource.

Water withdrawal forms: http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Water/wwfr/default/tabid/4265/Default.aspx

Fish Processing

Your aquaculture permit allows you to sell fish live or whole on ice. If you want to process your fish product, you fall under additional regulations.

On-farm retail: If it is 100% retail from the farm (no wholesaling), it does not fall under the federal or state seafood HACCP regulation, just the local health department.

Every “processor” must conduct a hazard analysis to determine whether they have likely food safety hazards that they must control. This processing falls under Federal HACCP regulations. For more information go to:


For HACCP questions in Ohio:

Diane R. McDaniel
Assistant to District Director
1600 Watermark Drive
Suite 105
Columbus, OH 43215
(614)487-1273 Ext 15
(614)487-9658 (fax)

Kentucky Aquaculture Contacts

Agencies / Regulatory

Kentucky Division of Fish and Wildlife
#1 Sportsman’s Lane
Frankfort, KY 40601

Education and Extension

Kentucky State University
Aquaculture Research Center
103 Athletics Road
Kentucky State University
Frankfort, KY

Dr. Jim Tidwell
Division of Aquaculture
502-597-8104 (Telephone)
502-597-8118 (Fax)

Dr. Sid Dasgupta Professor and
Principal Investigator,
Economics and Marketing
Voice: (502) 597-5036
Fax: (502) 597-8118
E-mail: siddhartha.dasgupta@kysu.edu

Dr. Bob Durborow
State Extension Specialist for Aquaculture

KSU Specialists are housed in western and central Kentucky. Dr. William Wurts is at the UK Princeton Research and Extension Center, and Mr. Forrest Wynne is in the Purchase area of western Kentucky where he assists and supports the rapidly growing catfish industry.

Dr. Bill Wurts
Aquaculture Extension Princeton, Ky.

Forrest Wynne
Aquaculture Extension
Mayfield, Ky.

Affiliated Associations

Kentucky Aquaculture Association
150 Keltner Rd
Campbellsville,  KY 42718
(270) 465-7732

Kentucky Dept. of Agriculture
111 Corporate Drive
Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
Phone: (502) 573-0282
Fax: (502) 564-2133

Wisconsin Aquaculture Contacts

Agencies / Regulatory

Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
101 S. Webster Street, PO Box 7921
Madison, Wisconsin 53707-7921
Tel: 608-266-2621 / Toll-Free: 1-888-936-7463

Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection
2811 Agriculture Drive, P.O. Box 8911
Madison, Wisconsin 53708-8911
Tel: (608) 224-5012

Education and Extension

University of Wisconsin-Extension
UW-Extension Building
432 N. Lake Street
Madison, WI 53706
Tel: (800) 940-7232

UW-Ext has 2 Aquaculture Specialists who offer farm visits and workshops. Ron Johnson is based at Star Prairie, covering northern WI 715-248-3657 and Jim Held is based at Lake Mills covering southern WI 920-648-2902

Affiliated Associations

Wisconsin Aquaculture Association
PO Box 37
Star Prairie, WI 54026
Tel: 715-248-3657

Washington Aquaculture Contacts

Agencies / Regulatory

Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife
Main Office
Natural Resources Building
1111 Washington St. SE
Olympia, WA 98501
Tel: 360-902-2200

Affiliated Associations

Washington Fish Growers Assn.
10420 173rd Ave. SW
Rochester, WA 98579
Tel: (360) 273-5890
Email: Contact@wfga.net

Michigan Aquaculture Contacts

Agencies / Regulatory

Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development
P.O. Box 30017
Lansing, Michigan 48909

Tel: 800-292-3939
Email: MDA-Info@Michigan.gov

Michigan Department of Natural Resources
Fisheries Division
P.O. Box 30466
Lansing, MI 48909
Tel: (517) 373-6948

Dr. Mohamed Faisal
Aquatic Animal Health Laboratory
Michigan State University
S-112 Plant Biology Bldg, East Lansing, MI  48824
ph: 517-432-8258; fax: 517-432-8260

Education and Extension

Dr. Nancy Barr
Aquaculture Program Manager
Animal Industry Division
Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development
P.O. Box 30017
Lansing, MI 48909
(517) 241-1475

Affiliated Associations

Michigan Aquaculture Association
Russ Allen
(517) 347-5537

Michigan Bait Dealers Association
Richard Weidenhammer
(231) 548-5323