Tag Archives: Nebraska

Nebraska Aquaculture Contacts

Agencies / Regulatory

Nebraska Association of Resources Districts
601 S. 12th Street, Suite 201
Lincoln, NE 68508
Phone: 402.471.7670 / Fax: 402.471.7677
Email: nard@nrdnet.org

Nebraska Department of Agriculture
301 Centennial Mall South
P.O. Box 94947
Lincoln, NE 68509
Phone:   402-471-2341 / Fax:   402-471-6876

Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality
1200 “N” Street, Suite 400
P.O. Box 98922
Lincoln, Nebraska 68509
Tel: (402) 471-2186
Email: NDEQ.moreinfo@Nebraska.gov

Nebraska Game and Parks Commission
2200 N. 33rd St.
Lincoln, NE 68503
Tel: 402-471-0641

Business Development Assistance

Nebraska Department of Economic Development
Catherine Lang, Director
301 Centennial Mall South
P.O. Box 94666
Lincoln, NE 68509-4666
Phone (800) 426-6505 / Fax (402) 471-3778

Nebraska Investment Finance Authority
200 Commerce Court
1230 ‘O’ Street
Lincoln, NE 68508
Phone: 402-434-3900 or 800-204-NIFA (6432) / Fax: 402-434-3921
E-mail: info@nifa.org

Education and Extension

Steve Martin
Nebraska Department of Agriculture
Tel: 402-471-4876 or 800-422-6692

Nebraska Tilapia Culture


The Game and Parks Commission regulates the aquaculture industry.  If you are raising fish for personal consumption and not for re-sale then you will not need an aquaculturist license, if you are going to sell them then you will need to apply for the $76 license.  They also regulate the importation of aquatic species so if your fish source is from outside the state then you will need an import permit.  This is a free permit.  Both forms and more information can be found on the Game and Parks website, either search “aquaculture” or follow this link: http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/fishing/documents.asp

Depending on the size of your operation you may need to contact the Department of Environmental Quality – http://www.deq.state.ne.us/

They regulate based on the clean water act so if you are discharging any wastes into waters of the state they may require a permit (this is usually size dependant)

Depending on your project, if you have to drill a well, you may need to contact the Natural Resource District (NRD) for your area, http://www.nrdnet.org/ they oversee water usage, again this is usually a size/quantity issue, small wells are usually not an issue compared to large scale irrigation wells.

Business Development

There are a few sources of assistance with business development plans: